Thursday, February 01, 2007
Snowboarding
I went back to Nanshan for a half day of skiing on Saturday. This time all of the slopes were open so I ventured up to the top and the expert slope. It was an icy narrow run with large moguls. I started down and a Chinese man with a death wish went flying by very close to me, hit one of the bumps and launched into the air. He lost control and slammed into one of the icy moguls and tumbled/slid down the hill into a fence. I realized that getting down this slope was based not on my ability but on the other skiers’ ability. I clicked out and downloaded on the lift. I had no desire to go to a hospital with a ski impaled in my leg. The weather was another clear day and it was good to get outside of Beijing to clear the lungs of smog.